Support for credits is still in quite an embryonic state in AniDB, however use the new system in preference to the old text field in anime entries, just make sure you understand the guidelines below.
Adding new Companies
If the credit is in English, add the nearest equivalent from the list that only consists of English - add the varieties with Japanese in brackets only if that exact credit is given, in the video or from a reliable source. For generic 'Production' credits in English, use 'Financial Production', absolutely not 'Production (製作)'! Widespread copying of translated credits from certain user submitted sites (we're talking IMDb, ANN, English Wikipedia) is not a useful occupation, find something worthwhile to do instead.
Do your best to find some info on the company - just putting the name into a search engine is generally enough to find some information. Logos should be in paletted png form, 150x150 pixels, though in case of wide logos, feel free to use a wider image, 200x150 or 250x150. Other stuff to look out for from official sites is what the company actually *does*, foundation date (give in yyyy.mm[.dd] form), and if they are related to any other companies. If you can't find any info on them and it seems unlikely that they'll be credited for anything else, add a note rather than creating a stubby entry.
As a rule, don't add entries for individuals unless it will make a link between anime not already provided by the relations graph. If you're a big fan and willing to do the research to make a useful little entry, feel free, but don't add stubs that consist of only a name, stick a note up instead.
Removing bad entries
From an Anime
If you added a bad entry yourself you can remove it. If you didn't you don't have the necessary rights to remove it. Please post the entry which should get removed here: Change Requests forum
If you added a bad entry yourself you can remove it as long as no one used this entry. In that case you don't have the necessary rights to remove it. Please post the entry which should get removed here: Change Requests forum
- Unknown Relation
- Add if you're absolutely sure the company had something to do with the making of the anime, but the correct credit isn't available, or you don't know what.
Use when only English is given.
- Animation Co-Production
- Animation Production
- Financial Production
- Music Production
- Original Story
Use ONLY(!) when you have the EXACT Japanese credit given, in the video or on an official website.
DON'T GUESS them from the English translations!
- Animation (アニメーション)
- Animation Assistance (アニメーション協力)
- Animation Work (アニメーション制作)
- Animation Work Assistance (アニメーション制作協力)
- Assistance/Cooperation (協力) (warning though, often used as a generic credit for anyone or anything)
- Music Assistance (音楽協力)
- Music Production (音楽製作)
- Music Work (音楽制作)
- Music Work Assistance (音楽制作協力)
- Original Work (原作)
- Photography (撮影)
- Production (製作)
- Production Assistance (製作協力)
- Production Studio (製作スタジオ)
- Publication (著作)
- Work (制作)
- Work Assistance (制作協力)
- Work Studio (制作スタジオ)
Credit types that should be added
None suggested at the moment.
Other Japanese not currently listed
For interest, various credits you might see at the end of anime.
- Direction (監督) Kantoku
- Assistant/Episode Direction (副監督) Fuku Kantoku
- Overview/Direction (演出) Enshutsu
- Animation Direction (作画監督) Sakuga Kantoku
- Art Direction (美術監督) Bijutsu Kantoku
- Sound Direction (音響監督) Onkyou Kantoku
- Music Direction (音楽監督) Ongaku Kantoku
- Photographic Direction (撮影監督) Satsuei Kantoku
- Supervision (監修) Kanshuu
- Script/Screenplay (脚本) Kyakuhon
- Character Design (キャラクターデザイン)
- Mechanical Design (メカニックデザイン)
- Colour Specification (色指定) Iro Shitei
- Storyboard (絵コンテ) E Conte lit. 'picture continuity'
- Key Animation (原画) Genga, lit. 'original picture'
- Animation (動画) Douga
- Animation Check (動画チェック) Douga Check
- Animation Inspection (動画検査) Douga Kensa
- Finishing/clean-up (仕上) sometimes (仕上げ) Shiage
- Backgrounds (背景) Haikei
- Music (音楽) Ongaku
- Song Writing (作詞) Sakushi
- Composition (作曲) Sakkyoku
- Song/Sung by (歌 or 唄) Uta
- Arrangement (編曲) Henkyoku
- Original Plan (原案) Gen'an
- Planning (企画) Kikaku
- General Manager (ゼネラルマネージャー)
- Executive Producer (エグゼクティブプロデゥーサー)
- Producer (プロデューサー)
- Director/Manager (ディレクター)
- Sponsor (提供) Teikyou
- Can be companies, products, other TV shows (in an advertising exchange deal), or anything else that provides some cash in exchange for a short advert.
Some big names. Not exhaustive, see the producer list in AniDB for everything.
The companies that employ the people who draw.
- Gainax (ガイナックス)
- Gonzo (formerly Gonzo Digimation)
- Group Tac (グループ・タック)
- J.C.Staff (J.C.スタッフ)
- Madhouse (マッドハウス)
- Nippon Animation (日本アニメーション)
- OLM (オー・エル・エム)
- Production I.G (プロダクション I .G)
- Studio 4°C
- Studio Deen (スタジオディーン)
- Studio Ghibli (スタジオジブリ)
- Studio Pierrot (スタジオぴえろ)
- Sunrise (サンライズ)
- Tōei Animation (東映アニメーション) (formerly Tōei Dōga)
Involved in the production of most anime made for television, and key players in the financing of anime in general.
- CBC (中部日本放送)
- MBS (毎日放送)
- NTV (日本テレビ)
- TBS (東京放送)
- TV Asahi (テレビ朝日)
- TV Ōsaka (テレビ大阪)
- TV Tōkyō (テレビ東京)
- Yomiuri TV (よみうりテレビ / 読売テレビ)
Retailers and manufacturers, involved in production, finance and cashing in on the toys.
As owners of copyright on most manga, involved at least nominally in the production of a large proportion of anime, and often provide finance and planning as well.
- Hakusensha (白泉社)
- Kadokawa Shoten (角川書店)
- Kōdansha (講談社)
- Media Works (メディアワークス)
- Shōgakukan (小学館), see also Shogakukan Productions (小学館プロダクション)
- Shōdensha (祥伝社)
- Shūeisha (集英社)
- Sony Magazines (ソニー・マガジンズ)
- Tokuma Shoten (徳間書店)
They make and license the music, and often provide some cash as well.
Other tricky ones
Companies with fun kanji names.
- Asatsu (旭通信社)
- Dentsu (電通)
- Doumu (童夢)
- Marubeni (丸紅)
- Shinkuukan (真空間)
- Shōchiku (松竹)
- Yomiko Advertising (読売広告社)
Prior to making exp code something into AniDB, a collection of relations between companies.
- Bandai (バンダイ) (founded 1950)
- Bandai Visual (バンダイビジュアル) (Visual branch, founded 1983)
- Sunrise (サンライズ) (Visual branch, founded 1976, acquired... a few years later)
- Ashi Productions (葦プロダクション) (Visual branch, founded 1975)
- Happinet (ハピネット) (Sales branch, founded 1969)
- Happinet Pictures (ハピネット・ピクチャーズ)
- Bandai Entertainment (World branch, in CA, US, founded 1995)
Formed by merger of several companies, source
- Animate (アニメイト)
- MOVIC (ムービック)
- MOVIC Promote Service (ムービックプロモートサービス)
- Animate Film (アニメイトフィルム)
- Coade (コアデ)
- Frontier Works (フロンティアワークス)
- Tōei (東映) (Film branch, parent company)
- Tōei Video (東映ビデオ) (Video and sales branch)
- Tōei Animation (東映アニメーション) (Animation branch, formerly Tōei Dōga)
- Tōei Advertising (東映エージェンシー) (Advertising and retail branch)
- Production I.G (owns) XEBEC
- KingRecords (キングレコード) (owns) Starchild (すたちゃまにあ)
- Asatsu (旭通信社) (merged with) Dai-ichi Kikaku (第一企画) (to form) ADK
- Sony Music Entertainment (renamed?) SPE Visual Works (renamed) SME Visual Works (renamed) Aniplex
- Pioneer LDC (renamed) Geneon Entertainment
- Pioneer Entertainment (USA) L.P. (renamed) Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.
- GONZO Digimation (renamed) GONZO plus other stuff
- Tōkyō Movie Shinsha / TMS Entertainment is such a mess it has a dedicated subpage