Relations are AniDBs way of describing what anime has something to do with another and in what way; is it a sequel or prequel, is it in the same universe, have the same characters, is it a spinoff or alternate version? Anyone can add a relation for any anime, but only mods and the owners of the animeentry can remove a relation. The mere mortals needs to file a DB Change Request. The different relations of an anime are listed between the rating and the animenfo link in the anime details. You can also see a graph (updated according to the Routine Maintenance) of what relations an anime has by clicking the [graph] link by the relations listing.
The different types of relations are:
- Direct continuation of the story.
- Story that happens before the original.
- Same Setting
- Same universe/world/reality/timeline, completely different characters.
- Alternative Setting
- Same characters, different universe/world/reality/timeline.
- Alternative Version
- Same setting, same characters, story is told differently.
- Shares one or more characters, story is unrelated.
- Side Story
- Takes place sometime during the parent storyline.
- Parent Story
- Summarizes full story, may contain additional stuff.
- Full Story
- Full version of the summarized story.
- Unspecified relation.
On an animeentry you can click the "Relations" link at the bottom of the page in order to add new relations to other anime. You will be taken to the "Add Relation" page.
There are three things you need to specify on this page: The title of the anime you want to add as relation, what kind of relation it is, and whether to add the matching relation to the other anime ("Chained add"). On the top of the page you see the previous relations for this anime. Specify the anime you want to add as relation by anime title, synonym title or short title in the text field. Select the type of relation you want to add. Now you have to select whether you want AniDB to automatically add the current anime to the anime you just entered as relation too. Or if for some reason you want to do it manually. If unsure always let this be checked, which is the default.
If the anime entry is not yours (you haven't created it) you can't remove relations. Please use the DB Change Request forum in that case.