AniDB is a user-driven database (DB) and every user can add new anime entries. So if you know an anime that is not yet in AniDB, we encourage you to add it. But before you do so, please check the AniDB Definition of Anime and make sure the new entry is really an anime according to our definition! Furthermore, please check if the anime isn't already added to the DB under a synonym!
We also ask you to include as much info as possible when adding a new anime, it's for all users' benefit.
Where can I add Anime?
...which should be included when adding an anime.
In most cases this is the romaji title. Please also read our Romanisation Guideline for further assistance with this.
Official English title: Fullmetal Alchemist Official Japanese romaji title: Hagane no Renkinjutsushi
Though there are exceptions like You're Under Arrest for which the official title is in English or some other language. In those cases the romaji title is to be added as a synonym. In case of the You're Under Arrest that would be Taiho Shichauzo.
Check the official Japanese(!) page or allcinema.
Sometimes OVAs are shown on Pay-TV before they are get sold (PPV). Those are to be added as TV and not OVA(!), since only the first airing counts!
First Aired/Released and Finished Airing/Release
Indefinite dates, with day or month given as ??, are accepted when there is no other accurate release date available worldwide.
- Examples: ??.10.2006 for some time in October 2006, ??.??.1954 for some time in 1954.
Be careful with shows that have 24:00 and later air hours - this means that show will air on the night after the specified date.
- Example: Japanese TV schedule says: 01.03.2005 25:30 - this means it aired: 02.03.2005 01:30.
|Note||Adding an anime without a start date will not be accepted.|
The image ID field allows you to add a picture for this anime. It will be displayed together with the anime information. You must first download picture to your local disk and then use the Pic Upload Function to transfer it to the AniDB server. The Pic Upload Function generates short image IDs, which look like xxx.jpg (xxx is a number). After uploading a picture copy this ID as-is into the PIC ID field.
- The recommended size for pictures is 300x400.
- Don't use animated pictures.
- There is no size limit, but the picture should stay under 100KB, if possible.
- This should be a short summary of the anime in British English.
- Preferable with as little spoilers as possible.
- Link to entries in Cast and Staff tabs, e.g. creator names and character names.
- No personal comments, please!
- No rumours!
* <Based on (optional)> <empty line> <The spoiler-free description of the anime. (required)> <empty line> Source: <Site name of source (optional, in italics)> <empty line> Note: <Additional information (optional, in italics)>
Note The text between < and > is a just a placeholder! Optional? Only the actual description section is required, the other sections are optional (dependant data availability, obviously).
If you have information on what the anime was based on (e.g. manga or game), then add a line at the top of the description by prefixing it with the * (asterisk) character. Be sure to highlight names, or when possible link these names. See D.N. Angel and K-On! as examples:
* Based on a shoujo manga series by [url=http://anidb.net/cr6367]Sugisaki Yukiru[/url], serialised in [url=http://anidb.net/cr22671]Monthly Asuka[/url].
Link usage If Staff (tab) information is available for the anime, be sure to add the appropriate links to the "Based on" section using the creator ID.
* Adaptation of [i]Kakifly[/i]'s ... Serialised in [i]Manga Time Kirara[/i] magazine since 2007.
Highlighting Please use italics ([i]...[/i] tags) to highlight names in the "Based on" section that do not have link information available!
Anime spoiler-free description text
Try to write a concise "appetizer" for the animation, that describes the story without giving away spoiler-related content. There are several sources for such descriptions: Use the official R1 DVD descriptions (preferred on AniDB), or you could write one yourself, or you could simply copy 'n' paste an existing description from one of many anime sites, or from Wikipedia.
Important When copying content always credit the source, and also make doubly sure that you are actually allowed to copy the content! For the English Wikipedia this is usually OK.
Example from K-On!:
The healthy and energetic [url=http://anidb.net/ch4426]Tainaka Ritsu[/url] (club president, drums) decides to join the school's [i]Light Music Club[/i], ...
Link usage If Cast (tab) information is available for the anime, be sure to add the appropriate links to the "Description" section using the character ID. Highlighting Again, please use italics ([i]...[/i] tags) to highlight names in the "Description" section that do not have link information available!
Crediting the source of the description
As mentioned there are several possibly sources for an anime description. Always place this source line in italics to separate it from the main description text. Here is how to credit them:
- The best way is to use the official R1 DVD descriptions in which case you do not need to give credits.
- On the other hand, if you have translated the description from a R2 DVD or have written one yourself, you can credit yourself like this:
[i]— written by <your_nick>[/i]
- For example: — written by fooBar (use the [i][/i] tags for italics). Note the use of the em-dash —!
Why credit yourself? This is mostly to prevent situations like the following: One of our users writes a description, the description is copy/pasted to AnimeNfo, someone from AnimeNfo comes and complains about taking their description and not crediting them, a mod adds a Source: AnimeNfo to the description, later the user who wrote the description notifies that he, in fact, wrote it, a mod removes the Source: AnimeNfo again.
- When you copy the description from a site that has written/translated the description itself (e.g. AnimeNfo, ANN, Anime-Planet, etc.), then please credit the site you copied it from using the following scheme:
- For example: Source: ANN (use the [i][/i] tags for italics).
|Note||In case someone finds a better description, any previous description may well be replaced.|
At times there is information pertaining to an anime that does not fit the "based on" (origin) or "description" (story) sections. This content should be placed in the "note" section. Always place such a note in italics to separate it from the main description text.
Example from Ookami to Kohaku-iro no Yuuutsu:
[i]Note: The Spice & Wolf novel, [/i]Ookami to Kin no Mugiho[i] was released on April 30 in a package that included this episode.[/i]
Note Other information to place here e.g. special versions of the anime available, release dates (only if pertinent), etc.
Enter the URL of the official Japanese(!) page here. You may add the official English page, if you are unable to find the Japanese one. Please do not add any unofficial or fan pages.
ANN (Anime News Network) ID/URL
Visit the ANN page for this anime and copy the link to the entry in this field.
Visit the AnimeNfo page for this anime and copy the link to the entry in this field.
Visit the allcinema page for this anime and copy the link to the entry in this field.
New anime entries first need an approval by a mod before they are added to AniDB. You can see the status of your addition once you click on the my creqs link in the left menu.