What anime should I watch next?
AniDB provides two easy facilities for recommending anime to users:
- You need to have a mylist, and have voted for 30 or more anime before the last routine maintenance.
- Suggestions are automated, based on a range of tweakable parameters.
- These are hand-created links between similar anime, with short explanations, on the Anime Planet website.
- Not all AniDB entries have a corresponding AniRec entry.
- To make recs yourself or add a new entry, see the Anime Planet forum.
There are are also other ways you might find something interesting:
Types of anime
If you want anime with a certain style or theme, browse AniDB by category.
Japanese animation awards:
- Mainichi Awards - animation awards since 1962
- Japan Media Arts awards and Jury Recommended Works, homepage in Japanese, English, and Korean.
- TSURIBE Manabu (釣部 學) in Japanese or English.
- DOI Hitoshi (土井 仁志) rankings for TV series and OVAs and movies
- Yearly 'Anime Best Ranking' by Navi 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
- Ben Ettinger has some lists of anime he doesn't quite call "best".
- Gilles Poitras, R1 DVD rent/buy oriented Recommended Anime.
- Also for R1 releases, AnimeOnDVD Recommends.
- AniDB denizens, , , 
- All of anidb ranked by sheep vote!
- AnimeReactor Community picks for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Various bits of statistical nonsense on Anime News Network top-lists - people, filtering doesn't matter if the sample sucks.
- The 2002-05-26 edition of a top-100s tv program on TV Asahi, list on the webarchive (set encoding to sjis, stupid site), translation posted on 2002-05-28 Anime News Service.
- Animage listing of important anime from 2001, misreported by Anime News Network, then somewhat corrected.
All anime in AniDB can have user-submitted reviews - after reading them feel free to use the review comments system to give feedback. For other websites with reviews, see the links under Recommended Links#Anime Reviews.
If you must ask people on a forum or IRC for recommendations, it's impossible to give useful answers without knowing what kind of thing you like. First check your profile to make sure your mylist and votes are publicly visible. Then give a link to
http://anidb.info/uYOUR_UID_HERE - you can find your uid number in brackets after your nick in your myplace. This should give people a rough idea of the kind of thing you're after.